Chavayn avenue is the very first avenue in Yoshkar-Ola. It was named in honor of the first Mari writer and dramatist Sergei G. Chavayn. The avenue was built in the 60s of XX century. The two avenues – of the Victory and Chavayn, completely cutting the city from west to east, form a single pedestrian zone with a total length of about four kilometers. The avenues are decorated with cascading fountains, monuments and sculptures. In the center of the pedestrian zone there is a monument to Sergey Chavayn. The authors of the monument are the Honored artist of the RSFSR B.Dyuzhev and Honored architects of the RSFSR P. Samsonov and E. Stammo.
The central Park of the XXXth anniversary of LYCLSU
Until 1917 a part of the park area served as a Cheboksarskaya or Alexander and Elizabeth fair. In another part there was the town cemetery. In the 1920s it was decided to create a dendrologist nursery on the area of the former cemetery and the fair. They planted about 100 different tree and shrub species, many of them were rare plants for the latitude: apricots, barberries, wild grapes, quince and even cork. The nursery was the base for students of the Volga Forestry Institute moved from Kazan to Yoshkar-Ola in 1932.
Before the revolution of 1917 there was no town yet at this territory. The first buildings appeared in the 1920s. The square owes its name to the 20th anniversary of the Mari Autonomous Region. Currently at the Yubileynaya square there is a green park with a sculptural composition "Out to the Space".
"The Heart of the City" – the capital's residents call the square. It is beautiful, stylishly, cozy, and it is the center for city and national celebrations, festivals, parades, folk festivals. Traditionally at New Year's eve, the main Christmas tree is set up and the ice town is verified here.
In 2007 in Yoshkar-Ola Obolensky-Nogotkov Square appeared along with the opening of the National Art Gallery and the monument to Ivan Obolensky-Nogotkov the first governor of Tsarevokokshaisk (the author – People's Artist of the Russian Federation A. Kovalchuk). Traditionally, any tour or excursion starts with a tour on the Square and the monument to Ivan Obolensky-Nogotkov. The monument has a quite impressive size – about 6 feet tall and it weighs 6 tons. Ivan Obolensky is drafted entering the city on a warhorse. He holds in his hand a royal charter which states the decision of the king that on Kokshaga river and at this place the Tsar's town shall be based. On another part of the square you can also see a monument to Leonid, the first Bishop of the Mari land (author of the monument – A. Kovalchuk). The Bishop Leonid was born in the Ukrainian peasant family. At age of 16 he entered the monastery. He was tonsured a monk at the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. In March 1937 Leonid became the Bishop of the Mari land. The Square's attraction is a reduced to twice copy of the Tsar Cannon. Together with nuclei the Cannon weighs about 12 tons.
Almost every Russian city regardless of the place it is located has a street or boulevard with the symbolic name "The Victory". For Russian people the word is filled with a special and deep meaning. In the capital of the Republic of Mari El Pobeda avenue (Victory avenue) leads to the Monument of Heroes. This fact played an important role in choosing the name of the avenue. Here the holidays such as the Day of the city, Peledysh payrem (The holiday of flowers), art festivals and, of course, a special holiday – the Victory Day are celebrated. Every citizen has his own favorite places for rest and walking on the avenue. A sculptural composition "The Happy Family" is symbolically located opposite the Perinatal Center of the Republic of Mari El. Another sculpture "Bench of love and loyalty" is a symbol of love based on the parable of swan fidelity. These birds are considered to be a symbol of pure, gentle and faithful love. And soon a tradition was born on the bench – the lovers and those who are looking for a soul mates sit on the "swan bench" and make a wish carefully rubbing beaks of the birds. The sculptors – the Honored Artist of Russia A.Shirnin and the Honored Artist of the Republic of Mari El S. Yandubayev.
The Archangel Sloboda
On the territory of the Archangel Sloboda there compactly located mansions in the Flemish style for bank offices, cafés and shops. On the facades and roofs of the mansions you can see various figures in bronze.
The Garden near the Government building
The Garden is a very beautiful, cozy and quiet place to relax and photo shoot.
A part of Uspenskaya street is built up in the Flemish style which is already quite typical for Yoshkar-Ola.
Nata Babushkina Square
Nata Babushkina was born in Tambov region. She was one of the first seven parachutists who set a world record by jumping from a height of 7035 meters without oxygen apparatus. For her courage she was awarded with the Order of the Red Star.
In the summer of 1936 Nata Babushkina was invited to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Mari Autonomous Region. But her visit to the Mari land turned into a tragedy. During her demonstration jumps Nata's parachute opened too late and the girl fell to the ground. Within three days local doctors prepared for her life, but in vain. June 27, 1936 the Soviet sportswomen and the famous parachutist died.
In 1958 a bust to Nata Babushkina was installed in a park in front of the city hospital. The sculptor is K. Blazhnov.